An NIE number. Since you have been living in Valencia or doing online research there is a big chance you have heard of an NIE number and many times with a tad of frustration. It’s indeed quite a hassle to obtain one. With this quick guide we explain to you why you should get one and how you apply for an NIE in Valencia so you can easily move through the process and wave proudly high this precious paper with a number soon.
What is an NIE number?
An NIE number is the short form of Número de Identidad de Extranjero, or in other words; an identification number for foreigners in Spain. All EU citizens can apply for this number, as for non-EU citizens the process is a little different as they need to apply for a TIE which is both an NIE and a form of identification.
Why should I get an NIE number?
Basically you will need an NIE for every professional or economic activity in Spain. For example, an NIE is required when you want to buy a house or rent an apartment, start a business, study, or just to work in Spain, open a bank account, open/close a phone or internet contract, register at social security, buy a vehicle, subscribe yourself to the government in Valencia and many more things… So as soon as you know you’ll be staying over a couple of months we recommend you arrange your NIE before you even take another step.
How to apply for an NIE?
It’s quite likely you tick at least one of the boxes above. No need to panic as the process is doable, as long as you know which steps to take and make sure you have a copy of a copy of a copy…
There are three ways to obtain an NIE:
- You apply for an NIE once in Valencia
- You apply for an NIE at the Spanish embassy in your country
- You contract a company, sit back and relax until you obtain your NIE
Applying for an NIE in your country of residence is an option if you buy a (second) house in Valencia where you won’t live year-round or won’t stay longer than 3 months in Valencia. Check the website of the embassy of your country for specific rules in your country.
In this blog we guide you through the total process of applying for an NIE yourself in Valencia.
- STEP 1 – Make an appointment online
The only place where you can apply for a NIE number in Valencia is the ‘Comisaria de Policia’ (click here for Google Maps) and the only way to get in there, except committing a crime, is making an appointment ONLINE via this website.
The website is in Spanish, but we’ll show you how to make an appointment below:
- Select the province Valencia in the dropdown menu and click ‘Aceptar’.
- Select ‘POLICIA – Certificados / Comunitarios’ followed by ‘Aceptar’.
- On the next page there’s nothing to select. Click ‘Entrar’
- On this page you fill out your details; passport number, name and surname, year of birth, nationality and let them know you’re not a robot. When done, click ‘Aceptar’.
- Then you’ll get to the screen where you apply for an appointment. Do that by clicking on ‘Solicitar cita’.
- You’ll either see a screen with maximum three possibilities you can choose from, or get the message below which means there are no appointments available and you have to try again later.
Three frustrating things to know from the start:
- In Valencia the average waiting time for an appointment is 4 to 6 weeks.
- There are not many appointments available per day, so you’ll need to check the website a few times a day to see if new slots show up.
- We have heard there is a quicker possibility outside of Valencia, in Paterna, to make an appointment via the phone (in Spanish). The waiting time might be half as short as in Valencia. Give it a try!
- STEP 2: Get the right documents for your appointment
If you managed to get your appointment, that’s great! Time to dive into the paperwork and find a copy machine. An overview of the documents you need:
- A filled out EX-15 form, which you can download here*.
- A copy of the EX-15 form which you filled out
- An online filled out Tasa (tax) form called Modelo 790-012, which you can find here*.
- A copy of the Modelo 790.
- Your passport
- A copy of your passport
* Only download the forms via the official websites to make sure you have the correct version.
- STEP 3: Fill out the EX-15 and Modelo 790-012 forms
How to fill out the EX-15 form and Tasa Modelo 790-012? We’ve made life easy for you. Follow the screenshots below.
MODELO 790-012 FORM
To obtain the form you have to fill in the details on their website.
- Leave the ‘Autoliquidación’ on ‘principal’
- Then fill out the date and place of your appointment and make sure again you’re not a robot by entering the letters and numbers, followed by clicking ‘Descargar impreso rellenado’.
- STEP 4: The appointment
On the day of your appointment make sure you bring all the required documents and copies. You don’t want to wait another six weeks in line.
Show up on time at the Police office (click here for Google Maps location). Once there they’ll ask you to show the forms and will give you your temporary NIE number.
- STEP 5: Pay for your NIE at the closest bank
Go to the closest bank (for example the BBVA at Plaza de España) to pay the fee of € 9,64. You can easily pay at one of the machines where you’ll find an instruction form as well. Make sure you get a ticket/receipt of your payment.
- STEP 6: Go back to the police station to get the stamp
Back at the police station you wait your turn to be seen again. You don’t need an appointment this time. Give the officer your documentation including the receipt from the bank and they will give you one of the EX-15 forms with your NIE on it. Ask them when they want you to come back to pick up your official NIE.
- STEP 7: Pick up your NIE at the police station
Normally you can pick up your NIE a week after your appointment. Make sure you bring your passport and the EX-15 form they gave you and the officer will hand over your NIE. This is the right time to have a big smile on your face and wave your precious paper in the air!
Written by Silke Bongers, owner of Open Door Valencia, a real estate agency specialized in making your housing search hassle free for the international market. She offers several services to help you finding your dream house in the city that you’ll surely fall in love with; Valencia!